Thursday, October 8, 2009

GRAFFITI....ART OR CRIME?



Spain seems awash with graffiti. Having used Banksy as subject matter fo many a TEFL lesson I am still wrestling with the question in the title to this post. In the absence of a definitive answer I have resigned myself to position Of impartial observer. Tarra does not disappoint. Ranging from a whole street awash with highly attractive daubings and customized bollards...to witty (?) stencils and upsidedown DaDaist musings about altered reality and absurdity.


THEN THERE'S THIS.....ROUGHLY TRANSLATED IT MEANS
"THE IDIOTS ARE BACK
POLITICS IS CARRIED OUT BY SUBSIDIZED IDIOTS
MY ENEMIES HAVE MADE ME WHAT I AM TODAY"


A stencil reminiscent of our man Banksy










I saw this small and simplistic graffito (is that the singular?) and I just really liked it. The colour jumped out at me, and the juxtaposition with the door and grille just really looked good. I call it the blue rat. On closer inspection the outline of the rat has been carved into the stone.

2 comments: