Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cultural difference.....not a turkey in sight.


The Christmas menu here bears little resemblance to the UK. I didn't see a single turkey for sale. But these equally cute little critters seem to be quite popular. There is actually a particular suckling pig appelation which comes from Segovia where they produce these babies to strict quality guidelines which define breed, and diet of the mother let alone the baby, and of course age. They cannot be older than three weeks. When I looked at this picture I couldn't help feeling that there was something slightly surreal about it, yet I couldn't put my finger on it. Then it came to me.....the baby pigs still look alive. They are almost like waxworks. The second from the left is positively smiling, the one at the back had the loins and torso of an olympic swimmer. There's something very healthy and alive about this collection of piglets. Or is it just me...........? (double click on the picture to enlarge it)

1 comment:

  1. By the way, turkey actually is quite traditional here too. I only found this out a couple of years ago. Apparently, there's a big turkey market in BCN every December - I've yet to see it with my own eyes though.

    Here's a pic of some turkeys on sale at the Christmas market in Valls: http://www.festacatalunya.cat/img/5637-400-0-ESCALA_INF.jpg

    ReplyDelete