Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Interesting Reading Test

Given that my typing is quite prone to errors I was fascinated to read that apparently the brain can decipher words that are misspelt or even completely jumbled as long as the first and last letters are correct. Read the passage below to see what they mean. It's quite amazing!

I cdnuolt blveiee
taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The
phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the
ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the
first and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a
taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm.. This
is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

6 comments:

  1. I loved this - especially coming from someone who is teaching English - your job has been halved - you now only need teach the first and last letter! Presume it works in French too!!
    Love,
    Sarah
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also works in polish for ex.
    Ldana dzis pgodoa, pyrzjmaneij nie pdaa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. roberto. We cannot tell if the Polish is mixed up or normal!!!
    Doesn't Polish always look like that? ha ha !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - I have heard this before, but your example was extreme! Or should that be 'yuor eapxmle was etmxree'? What's amazing is that my brain actually got faster and I could speed up my reading once I'd got the first few words. It's as if the brain goes into de-scramble mode! Proof that we only use 7% of our brains and the rest is lying idle most of the time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. "we only use 7% of our brains and the rest is lying idle most of the time"

    I am using 100 % of my brain, mostly when I am lying. ;)

    ReplyDelete